Dr. Oliver B. Greene founded the Gospel Hour, Inc. in 1956 as a
Christian outreach using radio, personal appearances, books and
audio tapes. The radio program, which began on one station in Georgia,
spread through syndication until it reached across the nation. At
one time the program was heard on more than 150 stations. The program
is currently heard on more than eighty stations in America; on Caribbean
Radio Lighthouse, which carries the program throughout the Caribbean
area; and worldwide by way of the internet.
Dr. Greene began preaching as an evangelist in the early 1940's
and went wherever he was invited to preach. This eventually led
to his standard practice of holding revivals in churches and arenas
during the winter and holding tent campaigns in the summer. His
tents were quite impressive, the largest one being 300 feet long
and 150 feet wide. He also travelled extensively overseas, visiting
and raising money for missionaries in many different countries.
He was truly a "triple threat", spreading the gospel through
public speaking, the written word and the medium of radio. His personal
ministry ended suddenly on July 26, 1976 when he died of an aneurism
in the heart. However, through the prayers and donations of many
friends the ministry has continued and reaches thousands daily throughout
After his death, his son, Dr. David B. Greene, along with Dr.
Greene's widow and his other son Tom, continued the ministry. David
has been involved with the Gospel Hour since childhood, always travelling
with his dad in meetings and helping at the Gospel Hour headquarters.
He brings to the ministry a scientific and mathematics background,
as well as a degree in law. David is a practicing attorney in Greenville
and has a website at www.greenelaw.org
|-The Gospel Hour Statement of Faith-
WE BELIEVE IN:
* The Bible as the God-breathed, fully inspired and
forever settled Word of God, both the Old and New Testaments.
* The Bible account of Creation.
* One God, existing in three Persons: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
* The deity, virgin birth, and sinlessness of Jesus Christ, God in flesh.
* The substitutionary death of Jesus Christ on the cross for the sins of mankind, and His bodily resurrection and ascension.
* Salvation by grace through faith in the shed blood
of Jesus Christ, the one and only Saviour of the world.
* The Person and work of the Holy Spirit-convicting
of sin, drawing and regenerating sinners, indwelling believers.
* Water baptism by immersion-not as a means of
salvation, but signifying the death, burial, and resurrection
of Christ and the believer's identification with Him.
* Jesus as the Head of the one true Church, the body
of Christ, made up of all who are born again through faith in Christ.
* The complete independence of the local church, an
assembly of baptized believers.
* The literal, visible, personal, premillennial, pretribulational
return of Jesus Christ to take believers out of the world.
* The literal, bodily resurrection of the righteous dead at His coming.
* The everlasting, conscious blessedness of the saved
and the everlasting, conscious punishment of the unsaved.
Timeline of Dr. Oliver B. Greene's Life And Ministry
Feb. 14, 1915 - Oliver B. Greene's Date of Birth
Sept. 9, 1935 - Oliver B. Greene saved
Feb. 29, 1936 - Called to preach
1938 - First preached on the radio, GA
July 24, 1939 - Ordained as a Baptist Minister at Morgan Memorial Baptist Church, Greenville, SC
Sept. 10, 1939 - Married Aileen Hazel Collins
1939 - 1968 - Held Tent Revival meetings along East coast
Mar. 8, 1942 - Son Thomas Greene born
April 8, 1942 - Gospel Hour Ministry began
1943 – First recorded sermons on radio, Salisbury, NC - WSTP
In five years Dr. Greene:
- Preached over 1600 times over radio
- Saw 1700 souls saved
- Had 25 people go into full time Christian Service
Mar. 9, 1946 - Son David Greene born
March 1947 - First edition of the monthly newspaper the Gospel Hour News printed.
Before The Gospel Hour was incorporated:
- The radio program The Gospel Hour was on many stations
- Dr. Greene had raised enough money to build a hospital in the Congo and a church in the Holy Land
- Published the monthly newspaper the Gospel Hour News
- Held Tent Meetings
- Supported Missionaries in Alaska and Brazil
Oct. 8, 1956 - The Gospel Hour incorporated
May 27, 1960 - Received Honorary Doctor of Divinity Degree, Immanuel Schools of Atlanta
Jan. 1961 - First Printing Press installed at The Gospel Hour facilities
Oct. 1961 - Cancelled Tent Revival meetings due to medical reasons
Summer 1968 - Last Tent Revival meeting on the grounds of Thomas Road Baptist Church, Lynchburg, VA
July 26, 1976 - Dr. Greene went home to be with the Lord